Building Permits and Inspections
Town of Christiana Building Inspector
You may need a Town of Christiana Building Permit if you are planning to:
• Build, repair, remodel, move, or otherwise plan to alter your property.
A Dane County Zoning Permit may also be needed if you are planning to:
• Alter an existing building
• Constructing a new building
• Doing major repairs.
• Constructing or altering a deck or other structures such as a fence
• Adding a solar collector
• Adding a bay or bow window
• Filling or grading in a wetland area
The Town of Christiana follows Dane County Zoning. To determine what your zoning district is, visit the AccessDane website search for your parcel by owner name, property number, or address. You’ll find your zoning district as well as a link to a page listing zoning restrictions for your particular zoning category and information about setbacks.
WHAT IF I DO NOT GET A PERMIT?
Ordinances and State Statutes require building permits. If you do not get a building permit when required the fees can be legally doubled, a stop work order will be posted and you could be fined for every day the work is not in compliance. If you are not sure whether your project requires a building permit, please contact the inspector on duty.